For the past two and a half years, the Toronto Heschel School faculty and staff have demonstrated resilience and flexibility in responding to changes in public health and workplace safety measures during the course of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Through the course of the pandemic, Toronto Heschel staff have consistently prioritized the health and safety of our students. We pride ourselves on being a nurturing community, one where doors are open and conversations are welcome. Many of the families of our community have been affected in different ways and degrees during the past two and a half years. Having our children and faculty healthy and at school is the ideal scenario for continued learning and social emotional well being. Our overall goal is to return life at Heschel fully to pre-pandemic normal.
Please read the following information carefully as we have updated the school COVID-19 protocols for the Fall of 2022.
● The Ministry of Education, in alignment with current provincial guidance, recommends continued wellness screening as a way to keep school open and maximize student attendance.
● We ask that families complete a wellness screening test each day on ParentLocker for COVID-19 & other respiratory symptoms prior to arrival at school.
● Individuals should stay home if they are feeling ill to prevent the spread of illness.
● Studies show that masking has a significant impact on reducing transmission of COVID-19 and other respiratory illnesses.
● While masking is no longer mandatory, individual choice to wear a mask will be respected and no one will be made to feel uncomfortable in any way for their choice to wear or not wear a mask.
● If anyone in the household has tested positive COVID-19 either on a PCR or Rapid Antigen Test, we are requiring all household members, including students and siblings, to mask during the recommended isolation period while indoors at school.
● Appropriate hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette should continue to be promoted and integrated throughout the day.
● We will continue to run the Hepa filters in all classrooms and offices.
● Weather permitting, windows in classrooms should be opened at all times.
● We will continue to take advantage of our expansive outdoor facilities for learning and lunch periods.
● Enhanced cleaning will continue in all classrooms.
● As with all aspects of school life at Heschel, we look at the world through a Jewish lens. This is equally true for all protocols related to COVID-19.
● Keeping our Jewish values in mind, we ask all school families to:
○ Be respectful of people’s choices.
○ Be respectful for the health of others by testing and not coming to school after being exposed, feeling ill, or having symptoms.
● Online ZOOM learning will no longer be available for students who have COVID-19 symptoms or quarantine requirements. If 30% or more of the class is absent for a prolonged period of time, classes may have to pivot to a Zoom platform.
Rapid Antigen Tests/Masks:
● Rapid Antigen Tests available from the school office.
● Masks will be provided as necessary to all staff and or students from the school office.
Please recognize the situation is fluid, and we will need to make adjustments as experts and authorities provide updated guidelines.
As always, thank you for your continued support in keeping our children and community safe.
Stay healthy and safe!
For questions related to COVID-19, or to inform the school of COVID-related illness in your household, please email our Student Services Coordinator, Karen Turack.